Mark Twain once wrote, “Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been!”
I caught myself smiling this morning when I went out to start the car to take the high schooler to school … the sun was coming up and the air was cool and I just KNEW it was going to be an awesome day.
And then on the way back as I turned into our development, the park was perfect. The sun was shining through the trees, and there was a small layer of fog hovering around the ground and it just looked ethereal. It took my breath away! Which is cliche maybe, but the truth.
I find myself smiling more and more everyday just because; because life is awesome and there is so much “amazing” in the world and I keep seeing it everywhere.
If you do a quick internet search on “smiling” you’ll come up with some pretty cool facts!
- Forcing yourself to smile releases endorphins … it actually boosts your mood, you feel better!
- Smiling boosts your immune system (it can actually reduce blood pressure!)
- Smiles are contagious, try NOT smiling at a true genuine smile. You can’t.
- Smiles relieve stress
- It’s easier to smile than frown (it takes more muscles to frown!)
- It’s a universal sign of happiness, no language barrier!
- Babies are born with the ability to smile (ever seen a smiling dreaming newborn baby? it’s the best!) … it’s actually our first facial expression
- Smiles are the most easily recognizable facial expression
- Women smile more than men (on average 62 times per day to men’s 8. Come on guys … step up your smiling game!)
- Smiling helps you get a promotion (it makes you look more confident)
- Smiling makes women look more attractive than makeup!
- You can HEAR a smile! Smiling translates to the tone of your voice … it makes you sound more friendly … so smile during those phone conversations!
- Those who smile live longer
- There are 19 types of smiles
- People smile more often when surrounded by other people than when alone
- Smiling costs nothing but yields big results!
- Smiling enriches those who receive, without taking anything away from the giver. It’s actually an EXPANDING energy!
- A smile happens instantaneously but the memory of the moment can last forever
- Smiles use anywhere from 5 to 53 facial muscles! (It’s exercise!)
- We can detect smiles from far away
- Smiling actually increases your productivity and motivation
- People who smile constantly are more likely to have happy marriages
- SMILING IS ITS OWN REWARD!
When we smile, there is a cycle of activity that occurs in the brain. In a positive situation, your brain first interprets the information it is taking from your environment before sending a signal to the brainstem, and the signal is then sent to the smiling muscles in your face (which doesn’t just mean the muscles around your mouth, but around your eyes as well!). When the smiling muscles are activated, a signal is sent back to the brain to tell it that you are feeling good. This positive reaction is the same feedback we receive from eating a piece of chocolate or exercising. Smiling is an intrinsic behavior–something that we do for the sake of doing, without an external reward.
Smiling FEELS good, right?! It is a wonderful thing to see another person’s smile and literally not be able to help it but smile back. It is beautiful and it is that human connection we all desire and need, to flourish in life.
Smile today. Create experiences that bring happiness and joy. Spread the love by SHARING your joy! When you smile, a true genuine energy that is joy, it’s lifting, it’s light, it’s beautiful!
That moment when you see another’s pure joy manifested in a smile on their face? You can’t help BUT smile back! It’s compelling! It’s inviting! It’s joyful!
Spread THAT energy and the ripple effect will be amazingly fulfilling and just plain good.